We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-five year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you're in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
Sr Product Designer - Infant
East Aurora, New York
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
The Infant team is a multi-functional team that develops experiences that help infants from 06-18mo develop and learn. The Infant product line is divided into multiple segments- Basics which includes such iconic formats as our Rock a Stack and Chatter Telephone, Laugh & Learn which focus on learning through everyday experiences, and Linkimals- our latest hit that uses tech as a great way to enhance interaction and learning. On top of those we are always looking to “break the mold” and create meaningful new ways to play! Our goal is to develop the whole child, cognitively and physically, by engaging them with fun formats that make growing up a joy!
FP Infant is a high performing team that has won four consecutive “Toy of the Year” awards for our category. We work as a collaborative, cross functional team, and include a wide range of disciplines- design, marketing, play lab, graphics, communications, packaging, model services and a variety of engineering functions. Expect a design led, consumer centric and iterative development process for all products within the line.
Mattel is currently seeking an industrial / Toy designer to join the Fisher-Price Infant Team. This position focuses creating meaningful experiences for children between 06 and 18 months. This designer will focus on consumer insights, ideation and conceptualization, play-pattern development, concept refinement and defining pre-engineering functional specs. The candidate will work closely with cross-functional team members throughout the product development process. The Fisher-Price Infant team is based in East Aurora, NY. This position is in East Aurora and requires an onsite presence for team collaboration, prototype development, and observational research. This position reports to the Design Director of the Infant Team.
What Your Impact Will Be:
- Ability to design creatively within parameters of an established line and manufacturability
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, with a focus on Photoshop and Illustrator, and 2D creative programs
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Proficiency in 3D digital modeling capabilities as well as digital rendering skills.
- Proficiency in communicating in 2D while interpreting and analyzing 3D files
- Portfolio demonstrating strong design excellence, forward visual thinking and superior problem solving
- An innovative, creative and prolific mindset to envision the possibilities and “what-ifs”, with a fresh new perspective.
- Skill in brainstorming and ideation with strong sketching and rendering skills.
- Passion/knowledge of current cultural, design and entertainment as well as trends in fashion and toys.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work while maintaining quality and attention to detail.
- You are respectful of, yet unburdened by, legacy and existing norms.
- Communication skills to convey confidence, ease and enthusiasm when communicating with a variety of audiences. You communicate clearly, concisely, and with impact, using the right formats and methods to promote a free flow of information.
- Speed and can act decisively and with a strong sense of urgency. You find ways to achieve business objectives more quickly and effectively. You are able to remove barriers to speed to make Fisher-Price and Mattel a more nimble business and organization.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively with people at all levels and across a global organization
- Strong organizational, time management and prioritizing skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Self-starter with a proactive approach to work and the ability to work independently.
What We’re Looking For:
- 2 years previous toy design experience (newborn/baby toy design experience highly preferred).
- Experience with Children’s Consumer Products is preferred.
- Knowledge of 3D modeling programs such as Solidworks or Rhino is a must.
- Knowledge of material and manufacturing process, specifically plastics and soft goods highly preferred
- Understanding of features in the consumer electronics industry and their influence in the toy industry a plus.
**Portfolio/work samples must be included in order to be considered.**
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
· We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
· We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
· We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.