We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-five year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you're in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
American Girl - Associate Art Director- Photography & Video (El Segundo, CA)
El Segundo, California
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
This role will provide integrated photo & video assets—concept through execution—that support brand and marketing client objectives for our premium, experiential brand. This position will lead on set studio teams and work with cross-functional AG teams to ensure consistency of the brand, both verbally and visually. This position partners with writers and asset creation teams to produce impactful creative for print, digital, and unique-format graphics.
Lead the more traditional/standard studio photography and videos; while still working with Assoc Manager-Photo/Video on concept of innovative photo techniques and scenario concepts.
What Your Impact Will Be:
- Skilled in video/photo planning, art direction and image selection (dollsets and whitesweep + Stop-motion and craft videos will be priority projects)
- Executes product photo & girl/parent video production for American Girl
- Partner with creative leadership to concept key photo assets in doll set, and white sweep formats
- Partner with AG tactic Designers to concept key photo assets in dollset, video and white sweep formats
- Follow art direction of images thru color correction team/production to produce premium, production-ready assets
- Engage in schedule milestones and independently manage projects for on-time delivery
- Stay on top of trends for video to continue to evolve digital content
What We’re Looking For:
Key Skills & Competencies
- Strong understanding of visual-verbal integration and premium design
- Seasoned collaborator with an ability to lead and be led
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously, shifting focus as needed to meet business priorities
- Ability to work independently and remain flexible in an agile culture
- Focused on results, leveraging creative expertise and relationship-building skills to drive decision-making
- Demonstrated organizational, presentation, and written communication skills
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent preferred 3-5 years photo/video art direction
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite; working knowledge of Excel and Word
- Experience with Workfront or other job tracking software preferred
- Must include link to online portfolio
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.