We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-five year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you're in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
El Segundo, California
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
Mattel is seeking a Director of Sustainability based in El Segundo, California to help lead and execute on the company’s strategic objectives related to social and environmental opportunities across the value chain – from responsible sourcing to the impacts created in operations to the toy end-of-life. The role requires a deep understanding of current sustainability challenges in the retail/consumer goods industry, as well as a keen ability to work in a global corporate environment with multiple cross-functional stakeholders. The candidate will have a demonstrated ability to develop a global program to achieve sustainability goals. Reporting to our Global Head of Sustainability, this leader will have a highly visible role working closely with leaders of key functional areas – Design & Development, Procurement, Global Supply Chain, Quality/Safety/Compliance.
The candidate must have prior experience working with sourcing, manufacturing and understand the various social and environmental impacts that are created in this area of the product value chain. The candidate must also have great business acumen, exceptionally strong problem solving and negotiating skills, a passion for leading transformative changes in the ways of working, and an ability to work cross-functionally in driving solutions.
What Your Impact Will Be:
Because the function is small and leanly staffed, the responsibilities of this director will include but not be limited to the following activities:
- Support Global Sustainability Head with the development of renewed operating goals toward carbon-neutral, zero waste, 100% renewable energy, and science-based targets for 2030 and beyond; develop programs and initiatives to help achieve goals and establish the correct KPIs to measure performance against goals.
- Partner with Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) to drive strategy development and measurable operating footprint improvements that reduce energy and water use, carbon footprint, and waste generation and recovery.
- Support EHS with the execution of ERM five factory footprint assessment and optimization project. Establish a framework for considering CAPEX project investments that drive energy demand reduction with EHS and to maintain a record of investments and their correlating energy and GHG emission reductions. Partner with EHS on internal performance monitoring against corporate operational goals energy, GHG waste, water) and establish a dashboard to include with other EHS reporting frameworks. Help outline an approach for Mattel to achieve set science-based targets (3-5 years)
- Support efforts for TCFD climate risk assessment (2021)
- Partner with Procurement and Compliance to implement a refreshed responsible sourcing and supply chain program aligned with good practice that mitigates company risk; ensure Mattel has policies and practices in place to address current on emerging sourcing issues; ensure that we have the right approach to monitoring for compliance, risk assessment, training, corrective action, and capacity building.
- Partner with procurement to set a procurement strategy to achieve 2030 sustainable product goals and establish a mechanism to track progress against goal across all product material types (plastic resin, textiles, wood, metal, pulp/paper).
- Partner with procurement to ensure we are aware of important trends in the sourcing of sustainable materials including resin and help champion new approaches to strategic sourcing including strategic investments, JVs, collaborations, and partnerships.
- Maintain knowledge of best practices in responsible sourcing and sustainable operations and ongoing competitive and CPG benchmarking to keep abreast of important landscape changes.
- Understand the industry landscape to identify critical competitive needs and actively contribute to shaping the supply chain strategy.
- Review analyst responses to ESG rating agency (CDP, S&P SAM) and retailer questionnaires (Thesis, Project Gigaton) Regulatory reporting requirements (APCO).
- Support corporate sustainability/citizenship communications.
- Partner and engage with third party associations and/or multi-stakeholder initiatives, as appropriate.
What We’re Looking For:
- 10+ years of experience within related disciplines and 5+ of those years in a direct sustainability role
- Management and the ability to develop team
- Proven experience in strategic development and implementation
- Proven leadership experience including influencing multidisciplinary cross-functional teams
- Proven analytical and conceptual skills
- Excellent written/verbal, time management and quantitative/analytical skills
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.