We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-five year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you're in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
Expert Counsel & AGC - Privacy, Marketing & Advertising
El Segundo, California
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Law Department, where we embrace Mattel’s values and goals by providing thoughtful and timely advice to all Mattel business functions around the world. We strive to find creative, practical solutions that prudently manage risk and contribute to Mattel’s success, and we practice law in accordance with the highest standards of integrity and ethics.
Mattel is seeking a passionate, collaborative and driven Data Privacy, Marketing and Advertising attorney. This is a key position within the Law Department that will lead the international team that is primarily responsible for legal advice in the areas of: data privacy and security; advertising and marketing; and content Standards & Practices, among other responsibilities.
What Your Impact Will Be:
The position will involve providing legal counsel to a wide range of groups across Mattel, including information technology, information security, product development, quality engineering, brand, digital marketing, media buying, e-commerce, retail, and government affairs. This position will be expected to interact with executives across Mattel.
- Serve as Mattel’s lead Privacy subject matter expert and supervise a team of international data privacy counsel.
- Stay informed on global privacy and security laws, regulations, and enforcement activities and translate those data points into practical advice. Work in partnership with Mattel’s IT Privacy Office to drive global strategy around privacy and data protection.
- Provide legal advice to internal stakeholders on compliance with U.S. and international privacy laws and regulations pertaining to personal data processing, security and breach notification rules, as well as company privacy notices. Includes both employee, vendor and consumer data privacy issues. Provide client education and training on relevant legal issues.
- Adapt company's data privacy and security-related requirements to new and evolving regulations and technological advancements in websites, mobile apps, interest-based advertising, and the Internet of Things (IoT), with particular emphasis on Section 5 of the FTC Act, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), the California Consumer Privacy Act, California Privacy Rights Act, and the EU General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR").
- Participate in cross-functional team meetings focused on IoT/connected products from concept through launch, to incorporate privacy by design principles. Partner with clients to proactively identify legal issues and enable business strategies in execution.
- Provide legal advice on privacy risk governance including privacy impact assessments, data processing impact assessments, vendor due diligence assessments.
- Provide legal advice on privacy and security incidents including notifications to regulators and individuals.
- Review and draft contractual provisions on privacy and data security and other regulatory issues.
- Draft and/or review internal and external-facing data privacy and data security related policies.
- Conduct legal research on privacy law developments and provide input on proposed legislation.
- Participate in industry conversations with the Toy Association, Toy Industry of Europe, and other groups in coordination with Global Government Affairs.
- Support privacy and data security work streams for M&A due diligence activities and post-acquisition integration of target operations.
Advertising and Marketing
- Supervise legal team of attorneys, paralegals and Standards & Practices Associates that provides front-line review for brand and digital marketing teams and handle matters escalated from the team.
- Establish, update, and implement guidelines for internal brand and digital marketing teams regarding legal requirements for marketing, advertising, promotions, and packaging,
- Counsel brand and digital marketing teams on a variety of marketing and advertising compliance issues, with an emphasis on Section 5 of the FTC Act, the FTC’s Native Advertising and Endorsement Guidelines and the Advertising Guidelines of the Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU).
- Counsel brand and digital marketing teams on a broad range of legal issues, including regulatory and compliance matters and use of third-party intellectual property, in the context of marketing, advertising, packaging, and promotions.
- Mitigate legal risks by providing reliable, thorough day-to-day legal support; devise creative solutions to meet business objectives, including innovative marketing campaigns on tight timelines, expansive use of social media influencer content, enhanced product functionality, IoT and cross-platform digital capabilities consistent with Mattel’s digital strategy.
- Respond to inquiries from government agencies and CARU.
- Provide client education and training on relevant legal issues.
- Participate in industry conversations with the Toy Association, Toy Industry of Europe, the CARU Supporters Council, and other groups in coordination with Global Government Affairs.
What We’re Looking For:
- BA and JD required
- Minimum of 12 years as a practicing lawyer with significant experience in data privacy. Experience with legal advice regarding advertising, marketing, and promotions is strongly preferred. Some intellectual property experience is a plus.
- Substantive knowledge of and experience with applicable privacy and data security laws, including GDPR and CCPA required.
- At least 3 years' experience working with COPPA, CARU and other issues pertinent to children's brands strongly preferred.
- Experience with technology agreements, digital properties, Ad technology, social media, online marketing, and influencer marketing strongly preferred.
- CIPP privacy certification preferred.
- Strong analytical, risk assessment and problem-solving skills to be able to quickly understand and effectively support complex business initiatives and compliance projects.
- Strong drafting, contract and regulatory interpretation skills.
- Must be able to balance multiple competing priorities and handle a heavy workload with tight deadlines.
- Discretion, tact, diplomacy, and relationship-skills required to navigate heavy internal client touchpoints.
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills, attention to detail, precision in communication, and follow-through.
- Commitment to building and leading diverse teams and driving employee engagement.
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.