We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a severy-year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you're in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers, and enterpreneurs of all kinds.
Expert Counsel / Senior Director, Employment Law
El Segundo, California
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Law Department, where we embrace Mattel’s values and goals by providing thoughtful and timely advice to all Mattel business functions around the world. We strive to find creative, practical solutions that prudently manage risk and contribute to Mattel’s success, and we practice law in accordance with the highest standards of integrity and ethics.
We're seeking a motivated, conscientious Expert Counsel / Senior Director, Employment Law to lead the global employment function of the Mattel Law Department. The position will support a wide range of business clients within Mattel while focusing on employment advice and litigation, employee training, and internal investigations. The position is responsible for an extensive and varied employment practice, interacts regularly with C-level executives, and will be based at Corporate Headquarters in El Segundo, California (though it is currently remote due to Covid-19).
What Your Impact Will Be:
You will be responsible for assisting the Law Department and the Human Resources Department (including all levels of Human Resources business partners and the Chief People Officer) to ensure compliance with all applicable employment laws and regulations. In this role, you will:
- Serve as the key legal advisor on all significant labor and employment law, employee relations matters, and entertainment guild matters;
- Provide legal, strategic and business advice and support to the Law Department and Human Resources Department on day-to-day employee relations matters and compliance, including: recruiting, hiring, and compensation; employee discipline, performance management, terminations, and restructurings; anti-discrimination, harassment prevention, and non-retaliation; federal and state wage-hour compliance; leaves of absence and workplace accommodations; and internal investigations of potential violations of Company policy;
- Evaluate and communicate legal risks associated with complaints, grievances, charges, and other legal matters;
- Handle pre-litigation claims, settlement negotiations and mediations, and federal and state litigation, including management of outside counsel where support is needed;
- Defend and represent the Company in matters before federal and state agencies, including the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), NLRB, EEOC, DOL, and others;
- Manage outside counsel to efficiently deliver legal services, and oversee outside counsel staffing, case strategy, and budgets;
- Work to minimize legal exposure by proactively reviewing existing practices, forms, contracts, and policies regarding employment matters, while considering business objectives and practicalities;
- Draft policies, procedures, handbooks, and agreements (e.g., offer letters, confidentiality agreements, separation agreements, and settlement agreements), and prepare legal documents, memoranda and other forms of communication regarding transactional or legal advice;
- Develop training materials and provide training on employment law issues and employment-related policies and practices to Human Resources professionals and other employees;
- Provide legal counsel to executives and senior/ middle management on changes in the law and complex legal issues that may have a significant impact on Company facilities and operations; and
- Support the Ethics & Compliance function by working with others in the Mattel Law Department, Human Resources, internal audit, and others in connection with: investigations of and responses to compliance issues raised by internal and external sources, including EthicsLine reports; company-wide training programs, and; communications to employees.
What We’re Looking For:
- Broad and deep employment law knowledge; ability to readily advise on the wide variety of employment law issues that arise in a complex, global corporate environment;
- Ability to identify and analyze complex issues and evaluate their broader implications for the business; interact with clients at all levels; provide timely, practical, legal advice and solutions; and communicate effectively in person and in writing;
- Ability to work independently, exercise good judgment, and take ownership of issues and matters to their successful conclusion;
- Exemplary leadership and organization skills, including program and project management, prioritization and time management;
- Preference to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- Ability and willingness to develop expertise in other topics to meet the needs of a dynamic business and Law Department;
- Demonstrated integrity and ability to foster a compliance culture;
- JD from an accredited law school and strong academic credentials;
- At least 12+ years of experience as an employment attorney;
- In-house, California employment experience strongly preferred;
- Experience managing outside counsel and legal budgets preferred;
- Bar Admission in California strongly preferred
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.