We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-five year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you're in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
Manager, Internal Communications
El Segundo, California
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
The Manager, Internal Communications is a vital new role on the Corporate Communications team at Mattel. This role will collaborate closely with corporate, HR and brand communications colleagues both in the U.S. and internationally, as well as senior company executives, to articulate internally the strategy to transform Mattel into an IP-driven, high-performing toy company.
The role will plan, execute and measure internal communications strategies, activities and tactics, with a focus on clear, consistent and transparent communications of the company’s priorities, mission, purpose and values to the global workforce.
Beyond communicating business results, goals and priorities to the global workforce, a key priority for this role will be telling the story of Mattel’s global corporate citizenship, commitment to diversity and inclusion, sustainability and corporate philanthropy. Also key will be developing platform recommendations (live events, in-person, Zoom) for ongoing remote work scenarios, as well as recommendations for revised communications channels and platforms following a return to the workplace post-pandemic.
The Manager of Internal Communications also will have the opportunity to lead the ideation, development and execution of a relaunched yearly corporate awards program, celebrating innovation and results across the Mattel global workforce. Manager also will be asked to assess and recommend changes and modifications to internal communications delivery platforms and processes (example Zoom, Workplace by Facebook, email messages).
The candidate should have experience in the toy or media industries, or alternatively tech, manufacturing or CPG; be a strong writer, skilled with various communications tech platforms.
Candidate should have excellent strategic thinking skills, bring creative and savvy communications tactics to the role and strong interpersonal skills to deliver on the strategy, messaging and value proposition of the business. The ideal candidate will be an exceptional communicator; and enjoy working on multiple and developing projects in a fast-paced environment.
What Your Impact Will Be:
- Serve as a key member of the corporate communications team with responsibilities to craft and execute internal plans that express and articulate Mattel’s mission, purpose, strategy and brand.
- Manage and develop relationships with multiple internal stakeholders at all levels.
- Develop and implement internal communications plans and actions around all corporate and brand activities, investor relations/quarterly earnings, M&A, corporate governance, reputation management, CSR and in support of company ERGs (in collaboration with HR).
- Development and management of new yearly Mattel employee awards program.
- Create and execute robust yearly internal communications calendar of activities and announcements.
- Conduct and analyze employee pulse surveys following each global town hall.
- Develops internal campaign plans for corporate and brand clients in close coordination with Human Resources, which includes drafting and coordinating messaging, developing strategies and collateral and activating campaign elements.
- Elevate and maintain executive profiles within the company through internal communications opportunities, and as aligned with external communications activities.
- Develop deep understanding of Mattel’s strategy and business plans, our leaders, our competitors, and industry trends and proactively seek information internally and externally to support and bolster internal communications strategies.
- Develop and oversee internal communications assets and platforms, which could include talking points, scripts, videos, presentations, Q&As, briefing documents and fact sheets.
- Build and execute internal communications strategies and engagements appropriate to the communication style, culture, tone and preferences of Mattel executives.
- Leverage data-informed insights to build strategies.
- Keep current on relevant industry, economic, societal and governmental issues that could impact our internal communications needs and plans.
What We’re Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5-7 years of communications experience, preferably a mix of internal and external communications, in a fast-paced, high-growth corporate setting. HR communications experience a plus.
- A passion for internal/employee communications as a catalyst to improve and build corporate culture and morale.
- Toy, media or tech, manufacturing/CPG experience preferred.
- Team player, with proven ability to foster and deepen positive working relationships across a matrixed environment, at all levels.
- Strong attention to detail and responsiveness are critical because of the high visibility of this team’s work within the company.
- Ability to make judgment calls and offer expert guidance/recommendations on communications efforts.
- Superb written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Global mindset.
- Strong track record of producing high-quality effective communications materials, including talking points, speeches and presentations for senior executives.
- Ability to establish trust and confidence of executive management.
- Proven ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, manage multiple demands, think strategically and solve problems and maintain confidentiality with sensitive or non-public information.
- Candidate must possess highly professional demeanor, and diplomatic skills.
- Results-oriented in setting and pursuing aggressive goals, measuring success, demonstrating a strong commitment to organizational rigor and deploying resources to accomplish projects.
- Manage budget and outside vendors.
- Customer service and people oriented. Flexible team player. Proactive.
- Comfortable with new and emerging technologies.
- Ability to focus on details, but also see the big picture.
- Comfort level interacting with senior leadership.
- Demonstrated analytical processing, critical-thinking, decision-making and follow-through skills.
- Legal right to work in the United States.
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.