We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-five year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you're in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
Manager, Retail Development
El Segundo, California
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
The Opportunity: Mattel, Inc. is seeking a dynamic Manager, Retail Development to join our Consumer Products organization based at our global headquarters in the El Segundo, CA area. The Manager, Retail Development will be responsible for the development and execution of Mattel Consumer Products (CP) retail programs and accompanying marketing at top U.S. retail accounts.
What Your Impact Will Be:
- Contributes to building and driving U.S. retail strategies for Mattel-owned franchises across assigned retail accounts and all non-toy, licensed categories
- Develops brand pitches, including Entertainment pitches, and comfortably delivers presentations to retail accounts
- Leads retail marketing/media campaign coordination for respective accounts with media agency and internal partners
- Cultivates and fosters strong working relationships with internal cross-functional partners and external teams (e.g.; retail buyers, marketing managers, and key agencies/suppliers) to ensure execution of Mattel CP programs
- Collaborates with Franchise team, CP category leads, and licensees to troubleshoot licensee challenges in securing retail placement, including providing brand updates to licensees and outreach to buyers on licensees' behalf
- Proactively disseminates retail updates and program opportunities to Franchise, CP and Licensees
- Drives collaboration with commercial sales business units to coordinate cross-category (CP and Toy) brand pitch presentations, including participation in Joint Business planning
- Upholds knowledge of respective retailers' corporate and buying level strategies to identify business opportunities, including "white space" areas, and develop solutions using Mattel-owned franchises
- Builds Financial budget recommendation for respective accounts' retail programs to drive sales growth and maximize return in investment, including tracking and reconciliation
- Studies and incorporates learnings of retail trends and consumer shopping habits to stay at the forefront of industry trends
- Travel required (approximately 10%)
What We’re Looking For:
- 5+ years of Retail Development and/or Franchise Development experience and industry knowledge
- 3+ years of experience either at Mattel or specifically with top (mass) retail accounts
- Experience in developing cross category merchandise entertainment programs and retail strategies at major accounts (e.g. Walmart, Target, Amazon) highly preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and relationship-building skills
- Strong presentation and analytical skills
- Fluency with Powerpoint highly preferred
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Our Approach to Hybrid Work
We embrace a hybrid work model to empower a culture of growth, optimism, and wellbeing, where everyone can deliver on our shared purpose and realize their full potential. Combining purposeful in-person collaboration with tech-enabled hybrid work, our focus is to provide flexibility while enabling collaboration for moments that matter.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Mattel is recognized for the second year in a row as a Great Place to Work™ and as one of Fast Company’s Best Workplaces for Innovators in 2022.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.