We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-five year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you're in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
Manager, Sustainability Communications and Brand Purpose
El Segundo, California
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
The Opportunity: Mattel is seeking a Manager, Sustainability Communications and Brand Purpose based in El Segundo, California to help lead and execute internal and external communications strategies related to the company's corporate sustainability and social impact objectives. In addition, this role will advise global brand teams on embedding brand purpose and social/environmental considerations in their brand strategies. The role requires a deep understanding of current sustainability challenges in the retail/ consumer goods industry, as well as a keen ability to work in a global corporate environment with multiple cross-functional stakeholders. The candidate will have a marketing, PR, and/or communications background and a demonstrated ability to develop brand purpose and social impact programs that support the company sustainability strategy and goals. Reporting to our Global Head of Sustainability and Social Impact, this leader will have a highly visible role working closely with leaders of key functional areas - Design & Development, Global Brand Teams, Corporate Communications, HR, Brand PR, Global Consumer Insights and Commercial Teams. The ideal candidate will have experience working in brand purpose, social impact, insight-driven brand campaigns, and strategic communications to internal and external audiences.
What Your Impact Will Be:
Because the function is small and leanly staffed, the responsibilities of this role will include, but not be limited to the following activities:
- Lead the design and execution of internal and external communications strategies that support Mattel's corporate sustainability and social impact strategy, in partnership with Corporate Communications and other key internal stakeholders.
- Partner with the Design & Development team, as well as Brand PR teams, in validating sustainability claims for consumer-facing communications for new products.
- Help develop Mattel enterprise and brand social impact campaigns, such as Play it Forward, including content, program elements, social media and influencer campaigns that support the reputation building of the Mattel corporate brand.
- Support key sustainability communications assets, including Mattel's Citizenship Report, the corporate website, and partner with Corporate Communications team on press releases, social media content related to a broad range of ESG topics (i.e., from sustainable packaging and clean energy to responsible sourcing and production).
- Support on crisis communications and issues management related to ESG topics
- Work directly with Global Consumer Insights to field sustainability research projects and conduct ad hoc benchmarking analyses that inform our brand and corporate strategy and communications.
- Lead the development of programs and content that helps educate and engage employees that build awareness for the company's ESG goals and progress and establish a common understanding and lexicon for what sustainability means at Mattel, including webinars, lunch-and-learns, content on myMattel (the company's employee-facing intranet), and partnering with Sustainability at Mattel (SAM), the company's employee resource group focused on sustainability.
- Maintain knowledge of best practices in brand purpose programs/campaigns, employee sustainability engagement/training, consumer insights and trends, and keep abreast of important landscape changes.
- Understand the industry landscape to identify critical competitive needs and actively contribute to shaping the brand purpose.
- Partner and engage with third party associations and/or multi-stakeholder initiatives, as appropriate.
What We’re Looking For:
- 6-10 years of experience within related disciplines, developing and executing sustainability and social impact communications strategies, either in-house or at a communications agency
- Familiarity with key reporting frameworks including GRI, SASB and TCFD
- Proven leadership experience including influencing multidisciplinary cross-functional teams
- Experience managing relationships with vendors and agency partners
- Excellent written/verbal communications and time management skills
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Our Approach to Hybrid Work
We embrace a hybrid work model to empower a culture of growth, optimism, and wellbeing, where everyone can deliver on our shared purpose and realize their full potential. Combining purposeful in-person collaboration with tech-enabled hybrid work, our focus is to provide flexibility while enabling collaboration for moments that matter.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.