We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-five year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you're in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
Product Design Manager - Hot Wheels Tracks and Playsets
El Segundo, California
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
The Hot Wheels Tracks and Playsets design team is a group of passionate and inspired designers with the goal of creating the best toys on earth. We are looking for motivated, challenge seeking, innovative thinkers to create the next Hot Wheels toys for kids. Our products range from dynamic vehicle playsets, over-the-top tracks sets and unique accessories for our Hot Wheels and Monster Trucks 1:64th vehicle world. We work with an equally passionate cross function team that spans the globe with our international partners, making our design led toy company of Mattel one of the best in the industry. Are you up for the challenge?
The Product Design Manager will lead and inspire a group of designers on 1 or more of our key segments of business in Hot Wheels Tracks and Playsets, creating innovative products that are rooted in trends, kid insights and fun play. The Product Design Manager will execute and help create product design visions, strengthen the voice of our designers and will be ready for any hands-on managing that is required to keep the business moving. You will guide, nurture and grow your design team to empower the future leaders within the organization.
What Your Impact Will Be:
- You have a thorough understanding of the toy product design-development processes
- From ideation sketches, illustrations, rough models, to final modeling and production
- Have a clear understanding of the Toy industry, with familiarity of toys both past and present within vehicles category
- You are a strategic design thinker:
- Able to contribute and execute on product design vision
- Brings fresh POV with innovative design concepts
- Solid understanding of how to design for the target consumer, influenced by kid usability and parent expectations and needs
- Can take in feedback and commentary on projects and revise where necessary
- You are a visual designer
- Able to create visual design language in a product that is suitable for our core audience and maintains the Hot Wheels edge
- Understanding of how play and design work together in product to tell a concise story
- An excellent communicator:
- Able to present to an audience of varying sizes both clearly and confidently
- Can take concepts and distill them into a clear, understandable narrative to garner buy-in throughout the organization through a variety of medium
- Working with Mattel’s Consumer Insights team to identify opportunities, consumer needs, parent, and kid purchase behaviors
- Partner with Mattel’s cross-function team of experts in Marketing, Packaging, Engineering and Product Management.
- You are nimble:
- Able to pivot and revise on projects and strategy where business necessitates
- Occasionally participate in design efforts outside of your area of expertise, and as your own skillset dictates
- On projects with varying complexity through maximization of your design team and internal / external resources of Mattel (Internal cross function team, International Mattel partners, outside vendors)
- Can jump in on any given situation as a hands-on manager to assist your design team
- You are a design leader
- You manage a team of designers and empower them to grow and foster forward thinking
- Able to form a strong business relationship with your team gaining trust through collaboration, guidance, teamwork and empathy
- You will maximize each designers’ skill within the team and nurture their areas of opportunity
- You will guide your team to best fulfill strategic product needs
- You can lead but also be led
- You are a role-model
- Lead by example and maintain professionalism, representing the core values of Mattel
- You are passionate and inspire your design team to make toys that matter and make an impact
What We’re Looking For:
- 5 years+ of cross-functional experience in a product development
- Able to thrive in the world of Tracks and Playsets design with innovating forward thinking
- Data-driven decision maker with strong analytical and quantitative thinking
- Collaborative and communicative team player who enjoys driving and overseeing projects and processes cross-functionally with a wide range of personalities
- Self-directed problem-solver - you're proactive in tackling new challenges and working through uncertainty
- Structured thinker who's able to develop frameworks to support strategic decisions
- On top of trends in the toy space and adjacent industries
- Strong negotiation & relationship building skills
- Must be self-motivated and able to manage multiple parallel-path projects.
- Minimum of 2+ years of experience in production related capacity
- Have a passion for making great product
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.