We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-five year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you're in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
Quality Engineer II
El Segundo, California
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
The Quality Engineering team is responsible to work with the product design and development groups to influence design and engineering decisions that uphold all consumer, regulatory, and brand expectations for quality, safety, and reliability. We also work directly with international quality and manufacturing teams to support pre-production debug and any post-production issues that may arise. This is a group that makes data-drive decisions and creates the appropriate rationale for our requirements.
Mattel is currently seeking a Quality Engineer II in El Segundo, CA. This role will be a member of the corporate quality team that supports the Global Brand Teams and works directly with marketing, design, development, and other R&D support teams. The Quality Engineer will be involved in the product development process from concept through product launch as well as addressing field issues. This position reports to the Manager of Quality Engineering.
What Your Impact Will Be:
• Participate in concept / design reviews and provide input on safety, quality, regulatory compliance, and customer satisfaction as related to new products
• Drive and support the creation and updating of design/engineering/manufacturing standards using consumer insights and sound engineering as rationale
• Interpret and communicate product regulatory requirements
• Assess risks related to safety and quality issues
• Author product specifications for the performance, safety, and quality of new products
• Manage product quality and safety issues across multiple products, and across international time zones
• Analyze defects and identify root cause of quality and safety issues. Make recommendations and assist manufacturing sources with corrective actions
• Periodic travel to manufacturing sources and worldwide product development locations
• Research and support of new business categories and innovative products
• Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with people at all levels.
• Knowledge of consumer product regulatory standards, with an emphasis on toys or and children’s products
• Experimental design skills
• Knowledge of and experience with plastic molding processes, metal forming, electronic assembly, sewing, factory and consumer assembly
• Strong analytical skills. Must be able to determine solutions, make sound judgments and carry out actions in effective manner.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple projects and prioritize work without missing critical deadline.
What We’re Looking For:
• Bachelor's degree in Industrial, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
• Knowledge of Quality Assurance or Quality Management Systems preferred.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, Minitab
• 1+ year of experience in a product development / product engineering environment. Or quality with an emphasis on consumer products
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Our Approach to Hybrid Work
We embrace a hybrid work model to empower a culture of growth, optimism, and wellbeing, where everyone can deliver on our shared purpose and realize their full potential. Combining purposeful in-person collaboration with tech-enabled hybrid work, our focus is to provide flexibility while enabling collaboration for moments that matter.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.