We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-five year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you're in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
Senior Counsel / Director, In-Licensing
El Segundo, California
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Law Department, where we embrace Mattel’s values and goals by providing thoughtful and timely advice to Mattel business functions around the world. We strive to find creative, practical solutions that prudently manage risk and contribute to Mattel’s success, and we practice law in accordance with the highest standards of integrity and ethics.
We're seeking a motivated, conscientious Senior Counsel / Director, In-Licensing to join the global in-licensing practice within the Legal & Business Affairs section of the Mattel Law Department. Our in-licensing Legal & Business Affairs team plays a critical, valued role supporting Mattel’s Entertainment Partnerships and Corporate Development teams, which manage our studio and other brand in-licenses.
These in-licensing deals account for approximately $1.5 billion in sales each year and involve some of the world’s most iconic brands, including Toy Story, Cars, DC Super Heroes, Jurassic Park, Fast & Furious, Despicable Me, Halo, Minecraft, Star Wars, WWE, Nat Geo, Hello Kitty, Tesla, Jeep, and Corvette. Our deal work is sophisticated, and our contracts are complex. This position is located at Mattel’s headquarters in Los Angeles, CA (though it is currently remote due to Covid-19).
What Your Impact Will Be:
- Provide thoughtful, proactive, and strategic legal and business advice on a wide-range of licensing issues, including, IP ownership, royalty structures and participations, indemnities and reps/warranties, manufacturing and responsible supply chain, product safety, audits, and contract disputes;
- Handle all aspects of a broad range of licensing and other IP-based transactions, including, structuring, drafting, negotiating, and closing deals – often with challenging deadlines;
- Identify issues early, and then creatively solve them, as well as spot industry and company-wide trends and build a consensus in managing them efficiently on a company-wide basis;
- Manage outside counsel to efficiently deliver legal services, and oversee outside counsel staffing and budgets;
- Work to minimize legal exposure by proactively reviewing existing practices, forms and contracts, while considering business objectives and practicalities;
- Cultivate the trust and confidence of, and provide legal counsel to, executives and senior/ middle management on complex legal and business issues;
- Proactively manage expectations of clients, business partners, and staff. Skillfully juggle constantly changing priorities and sometimes conflicting client objectives, while looking out for Mattel’s best interests.
What We’re Looking For:
- Demonstrated experience structuring, drafting, negotiating, and managing IP licenses and a broad range of other IP-based transactions (including marketing and sponsorship agreements), as well as familiarity with how brands and content can be exploited across a range of media and platforms;
- Ability to identify and analyze complex issues and evaluate their broader implications for the business; interact with clients at all levels; provide timely, practical, legal advice and solutions; and communicate effectively in person and in writing;
- Ability to work independently, exercise good judgment, take ownership of issues and see matters to their successful conclusion;
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- Intellectual curiosity, ability and willingness to develop expertise in other topics to meet the needs of a dynamic business and Law Department;
- Demonstrated integrity and ability to foster a compliance culture;
- JD from an accredited law school and strong academic credentials;
- At least 7+ years of experience as an IP transactional attorney; with a emphasis on licensing, preferably in consumers products;
- In-house experience strongly preferred;
- Experience managing outside counsel and legal budgets preferred;
- Bar Admission in California strongly preferred;
- This position will evolve as Mattel’s needs evolve.
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.