We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-five year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you're in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
Sr Manager of Business Development - Mattel Future Lab
El Segundo, California
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
Mattel’s Future Lab’s mission is to broaden play innovation, expand reach, and develop new business that take advantage of and respond to disruptive opportunities, ushering in an array of innovative products and play experiences that nimbly cater to the evolving needs and wants of our dynamic audiences.
Future Lab is pioneering the future of play by enabling and accelerating innovation and growth beyond Mattel’s conventional product offerings, from digitally-enhanced products to NFTs and The Metaverse, Future Lab will explore, incubate, and launch innovative play experiences.
Mattel Future Lab is seeking a new Sr. Manager new Head of Business Development, leading the establishment of new partnerships, leveraging existing relationships, and/or licensing assets to drive product improvements, innovation, and business growth.
With a partner-focused approach to business creation, Future Lab will depend on external partnerships to both develop and implement our mission and require a dedicated Business Development lead to maintain current engagements and pursue new ones (spanning across Connected Play to NFT's and The Metaverse).
This role is a great fit for someone who thrives in a dynamic environment, and who is sensitive to the diverse perspectives of stakeholders and works with them to resolve differences. We’re looking for experienced customer-obsessed entrepreneurs who are passionate about innovating on behalf of customers, demonstrate a high degree of ownership, and want to have fun while inventing the future.
Do you or someone you know have a passion to create products and experiences that inspire, entertain, and develop children through play?
Join us to create the future of play.
What Your Impact Will Be:
- Partner with business leaders to grow the business by creating new partnerships, leveraging existing relationships, and/or licensing assets to drive product improvements and innovation, enable distribution products and/or services, and reduce costs without sacrificing the customer experience.
- Research, plan, and implement new initiatives that ladder up to corporate and Mattel Future Lab mission and goals.
- Analyze market data to identify trends/opportunities, utilize extensive network of relationships with the relevant industry to gather market intelligence, and execute on business development opportunities.
- Seek out, research, and evaluate prospective partners, as well as evaluate incoming prospective partnerships.
- Prepare materials for discussion and approvals at the executive management level, as appropriate.
- Identify risks and opportunities to long range strategies and develop mitigation plans as needed.
- Develop and negotiate innovative deal structures to address partnership sensitivities while protecting Mattel short and long-term interests that drive product margin and cash flows.
- Provide quantitative, qualitative, and analytical support for deal evaluation.
- Mobilize internal resources across multiple teams to validate partnership rationale and proposed deal terms.
- Initiate, structure, negotiate, and close new relationships as well as Maintain and support all third-party partnership relationships, developing strong relationships that enable renewals and/or necessary amendments of existing contracts.
- Lead all Legal reviews and ensure seamless contract execution.
- Contribute to the strategic development of features and functionality that maximize revenue and drive incremental value from partner/customer agreements.
What We’re Looking For:
- 8+ years of experience in in-house strategic/business development, strategy consulting, private equity, and/or investment banking role; preferably within the toy/entertainment industry and with experience in either Digital Gaming and/or Web3/NFTs.
- BA/BS in a relevant analytic-oriented field or equivalent experience.
- Strong financial analysis and modeling background.
- Impeccable project management and organizational skills, with proven ability to deliver measurable results in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, leadership, and communications skills.
- Strong client relationship ability.
- Pulse on pop culture and entertainment.
- Experience/knowledge on deals/transactions with non-fungible tokens (NFTs), Digital Gaming, and/or The Metaverse.
- A high degree of curiosity around business processes, translating strategy to execution and a passion for continuous improvement.
- Strong Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills and familiarity in/with Tableau.
- Licensing experience a plus.
- Experience with theatrical, television, and/or mobile/video game production, publishing and/or distribution, a plus.
- Passion for toys, gaming, Web3/NFTs, The Metaverse, kids/family entertainment and/or early childhood learning & development.
- Must be a strong leader, able to lead cross-functional teams and meetings with stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Problem solver and intellectually curious.
- Self-starter/able to get things done in an entrepreneurial fashion.
- Ability to turn analysis into actionable objectives and act with passion and perseverance to achieve desired outcomes.
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Our Approach to Hybrid Work
We embrace a hybrid work model to empower a culture of growth, optimism, and wellbeing, where everyone can deliver on our shared purpose and realize their full potential. Combining purposeful in-person collaboration with tech-enabled hybrid work, our focus is to provide flexibility while enabling collaboration for moments that matter.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.