We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-five year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you're in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
Sr Manager Sustainability
El Segundo, California
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
Mattel is seeking a Sr. Manager of Sustainability based in El Segundo, California to help lead and execute on the company’s strategic objectives to embed environmental and social considerations and brand purpose across the brand portfolio. The role requires a deep understanding of current sustainability challenges in the retail/ consumer goods industry, as well as a keen ability to work in a global corporate environment with multiple cross-functional stakeholders. The candidate will have a marketing background and a demonstrated ability to develop brand purpose and social impact programs that support the company sustainability strategy and goals. Reporting to our Global Head of Sustainability, this leader will have a highly visible role working closely with leaders of key functional areas – Design & Development, Global Brand Teams, Corporate Communications, HR, Brand PR, Global Consumer Insights and Commercial Teams. The candidate must have prior experience working in brand purpose, product stewardship, LCA, insight-driven brand campaigns, and strategic communications to internal and external audiences.
What Your Impact Will Be:
Because the function is small and leanly staffed, the responsibilities of this senior manager will include but not be limited to the following activities:
- Partners with D&D to design and develop products and packages that are optimized for environmental performance. Support categories in the development and implementation of a sustainability strategy that is focused on materials impacts, scalability and achievement toward 2030 product/package goal.
- Assist D&D team in the Life Cycle Assessment/Brand Claims Communications for new products to ensure that they are optimized, and claims supported.
- Help develop Mattel enterprise brand Social Impact/ Play it Forward campaigns including program elements, social media, and influencer campaigns that support the reputation building of Mattel brand.
- Support function with Sustainability/CSR communications including Citizenship Report and updates to the corporate website as necessary.
- Work directly with Global Consumer Insights to field sustainability research projects and conduct ad hoc benchmarking analyses that inform our brand and corporate strategy and communications.
- Lead the development of programs and content that helps educate and engage employees on the company’s sustainability journey including webinars, lunch and learns, content on the function SharePoint site, partnering where possible with the SEEDs ERG.
- Maintain knowledge of best practices in brand purpose programs/campaigns, employee sustainability engagement/training, consumer insights and trends, and keep abreast of important landscape changes.
- Understand the industry landscape to identify critical competitive needs and actively contribute to shaping the brand purpose.
- Support corporate sustainability/citizenship and brand purpose communications.
- Partner and engage with third party associations and/or multi-stakeholder initiatives, as appropriate.
- Manage the department’s Sustainability Budget
What We’re Looking For:
- 8+ years of experience within related disciplines and 3+ of those years in a direct sustainability role
- Management and the ability to develop team
- Proven experience in strategic development and implementation
- Proven leadership experience including influencing multi-disciplinary cross-functional teams
- Proven analytical and conceptual skills
- Excellent written/verbal, time management, and quantitative/analytical skills
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.