We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you’re in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers, and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
Counsel - Entertainment
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
Purpose of Position
We are seeking a Counsel level lawyer with Television distribution licensing experience to draft and manage Television and Home Entertainment contracts for a broad range of Mattel brands. The position is located in Mattel’s Slough, England office and will support Mattel’s expanding worldwide entertainment practice. Mattel’s entertainment practice is also supported by law department membersin Los Angeles, New York and Shanghai with whom the lawyer will work.
Provide strategic legal and business support to Mattel’s entertainment group with primary focus and responsibility for managing and negotiating Television and Home Entertainment agreements for deals in the UK, Europe, Middle East, Africa and AsiaPacific for a broad range of Mattel brands. This position may evolve over time as Mattel’s business and legal needs changeand may include Legal & Business Affairs deal support beyond traditional Television and Home Entertainment work – such as production, consumer products, location-based entertainment, new media, agency and marketing work.
Ability to provide first-rate, proactive, strategic legal and business advice. Skilled at identifying issues earlyand then creatively solving them. Strong drafting, negotiation andorganizational skills required as well as excellent communication skills. Maintain a professional demeanor, in writing and in person, and have the ability to work well with support staff and outside counsel. Our ideal candidate will also:
- Partner to Senior Management. Cultivate the trust and confidence of, and be an effective partner to, senior executives.
- Balanced Approach. Provide strategic legal and business advice that’s appropriately risk-balanced. Manage deals with risks and the long-term in mind, but without losing sight of the imperative to advance Mattel’s business and close deals – often with challenging deadlines.
- StrategicThinker. Identify issues and relevant Mattel stakeholders early – and then creatively solve those issues and work constructively with those stakeholders.
- Leadership Ability. Excel, and inspire staff to excel, in a culture that fosters and demands accountability, speed, trust, and ethical conduct. Work effectively within a talented, high-performing team.
- Curiosity and Growth. Be intellectually curious and eager to grow and develop. Be humble; recognize a continuing need to “learn on the job”; be receptive to constructive feedback; and elevate issues that are beyond one’s knowledge or comfort zone.
- Engaged Practice Management. Proactively manage expectations of clients, business partners, and staff. Also proactively manage deals, administrative functions, outside counsel and issues across offices, time zones, and sub-practice areas. Skillfully juggle constantly changing priorities and sometimes conflicting objectives. Foster a culture that values strong practice administration.
- Excellent Work Product and Work Ethic. Write and present in a concise, lucid manner – in emails, memos, presentations, and contracts.
- Great Attitude. Maintain a professional demeanor, in writing and in person, with clients, support staff, management, outside counsel, and business partners. A sense of humor is a plus.
3– 5 years PQE with strong television licensing/distribution experience and ideally with some entertainment production and other IP-transactional experience - as well as experience within the digital arena. Ideally the candidate should also have in-house experience.
Must hold a current SRA Practising certificate.
Internal Use Only:
What It’s Like to Work Here:
Mattel is passionate about our employee experience, which is built on community, opportunity and purpose. Our employees are at their best when they’re recognized, rewarded, and empowered to drive their own Mattel journey – that’s why we offer flexible work schedules, unlimited paid time off for exempt employees, a generous holiday schedule, and a competitive compensation and benefits package. Depending on location, we also provide on-site resources like childcare and a fitness center to help seamlessly integrate work and life. There are endless opportunities to grow here, with a strong focus on career development, open access to senior leadership, and on-site and online training. Employees often say the best part of working at Mattel is the people, and we build our community through employee resource groups, clubs, leagues and activities that allow you to bring the “whole you” to work. We’re a family-friendly, inclusive, purpose-driven company that provides ample time and unique opportunities to give back to the communities in which we work and play.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global children's entertainment company that specializes in design and production of quality toys and consumer products. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic franchises, including Barbie®, Hot Wheels®, American Girl®, Fisher-Price®, Thomas & Friends® and MEGA®, as well as other popular brands that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 40 locations and sell products in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world's leading retail and technology companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in exploring the wonder of childhood and empowering kids to reach their full potential.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
You have not recently viewed any jobs.
You have no saved jobs.