We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-five year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you're in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
American Girl Assistant Department Manager (Exempt)
New York, New York
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
The Team: The Assistant Department Manager position is part of the management team at American Girl's New York City retail store.
The Opportunity: The American Girl New York City retail store is seeking a full-time Assistant Department Manager to assist the Department Manager in the management, leadership, and overseeing of the retail business of their assigned area of responsibility. This includes providing high quality customer satisfaction through superior service and maintaining full merchandise position for the department. This is a 40 hours per week, salaried position.
What Your Impact Will Be:
* Provide floor leadership to ensure a friendly, positive, and professional environment for both internal and external customers.
* Manage sales/cashier floor coverage (breaks, lunches, call-offs) to maximize service.
* Assist Department Manager to achieve clientele and data capture goals.
* Develop business strategies to achieve/exceed sales plans/goals.
* Assist and lead product launches, special promotions, floor plan changes, and signage needs.
* Ensure coaching and development on the spot with associates to expected performance standards. Assist with performance appraisals and skill development plans.
* Execute monthly inventory counts, analyze reports, and ensure selling floor is fully and consistently replenished with entire assortment.
* Assist in leading creative and informative storewide and departmental meetings.
* Communicate regularly with all staff levels at the store and with corporate to effectively manage the business, build partnerships, and collaboration.
* Facilitate communications with customers regarding feedback to ensure customer satisfaction.
* Ensure compliance of all AG policies and procedures.
What We’re Looking For:
* 3-5 years of management experience in a retail environment.
* Experience in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to balance multiple demands, manage a diverse workforce, and resolve customer and associate concerns.
* Must be a skilled user of MicroSoft Excel, Outlook and Word.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
What It’s Like to Work Here:
American Girl is subsidiary of Mattel, a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Who We Are:
American Girl is a premium brand for girls and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ:MAT, www.mattel.com), a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.