We're looking for people who are up for the challenge of honoring a seventy-year legacy by making their own mark in new frontiers. If being part of a remarkable transformation energizes you, you’re in the right place. We need pioneers, inventors, designers, and entrepreneurs of all kinds.
Legal Counsel, Global & Commercial Operations
Shanghai, Shanghai Municipality
Please turn off any pop up blockers before clicking apply now
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Law Department, where we embrace Mattel’s values and goals by providing thoughtful and timely advice to all Mattel business functions around the world. We strive to find creative, practical solutions that prudently manage risk and contribute to Mattel’s success, and we practice law in accordance with the highest standards of integrity and ethics.
We are seeking a motivated, conscientious individual with demonstrated experience and skills in handling a broad range of legal matters. This position is part of the Global Commercial & Operations Group of Mattel’s Law Department and will focus on activities predominantly in China, as well as elsewhere in the AsiaPac region. This position will be based at Mattel’s China commercial headquarters in Shanghai, China and will report to Mattel’s Lead Lawyer for AsiaPac, who is resident in Hong Kong.
What Your Impact Will Be:
The successful candidate for this role will handle a wide variety of legal matters for Mattel’s China / AsiaPac commercial and operations subsidiaries and will also provide legal support for Mattel’s manufacturing and supply chain operations in the region. The areas to be covered include regulatory, commercial contracts and transactions of all types including procurement, supply chain and logistics, sales, marketing / promotions, e-commerce, among others. Responsibilities also include providing local support, as needed, to Mattel’s U.S. Law Department in other matters, including litigation and labor / employment. The types of matters covered by this position include:
- With respect to commercial & operations: advise on numerous issues within the region; draft, review, revise and/or negotiate a wide variety of related contracts;
- With respect to regulatory: be well versed in and able to manage issues related to applicable anti-corruption laws, antitrust/anti-monopoly/anti-unfair competition laws, advertising laws, among others;
- With respect to corporate compliance: conduct training on Code of Conduct and relevant Mattel Policies and laws and participate in internal investigations from time to time, as well as corporate secretarial matters;
- With respect to litigation: together with the Mattel U.S. litigation team, manage commercial litigation and proceedings initiated by governments in China and throughout the region.
What We're Looking For:
- Legal degree and Bar Admission in China;
- J.D., LL.B., LL.M. or other law degree from western jurisdictions helpful but not required;
- A minimum of 4 years as a practicing attorney with broad-based experience at a reputable law firm and/or a well-established company law department covering a few or more of the areas described above;
- Candidates need not have experience on all relevant matters but should have the ability to grow into legal counsel with relevant expertise;
- Previous in-house experience, preferably at a multinational, is desirable but not required;
- Specific experience handling a wide variety of legal issues in China;
- Ability to actively manage several matters simultaneously, prioritizing as necessary, while also timely responding to normal course questions and issues;
- Ability to identify and analyze issues and elevate as appropriate;
- Ability to take ownership of issues and matters through to their successful conclusion;
- High attention to detail;
- Effectively and proficiently communicate legal risks and obstacles verbally and in writing, while also providing solutions to support business objectives in a compliant manner;
- Leadership and organization skills, including planning, prioritization, and time management;
- Proactive, responsive and capable of producing high-quality work under deadline pressure;
- Executive presence and the ability to work effectively with Mattel business team, including senior-level executives;
- Demonstrated integrity and ability to foster a compliance culture;
- Desire and ability to continually improve and optimize legal support and processes in China/AsiaPac;
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of the Law Department and relevant Business teams cooperatively and in a respectful manner;
- Ability to fluently speak, read as well as draft documents in Mandarin Chinese (Putonghua) and English.
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
You have not recently viewed any jobs.
You have no saved jobs.